Saturday, August 1, 2009

My! Grandma! What big teeth you have!

Or, in my case it was My! Grandma! What a big nose you have, and what a big noise it makes...

Im not being nasty, just being honest, and blunt (as usual). It was my grandmother's birthday yesterday, and since my grandfather is still in hospital, we decided that rather than her staying by herself for her birthday (it was her 80th, after all), we would fetch her and bring her to our house to spend the night, and we would make her a nice dinner. Since I was sick, my brother kindly offered to give up his bed for her.

I was concerned that my gran would get my flu, and pass it on to my grandfather, which would not be at all good. So I wore one of those surgical masks the whole evening, only taking it off to eat my supper. And felt like a complete idiot, walking around with this silly thing on my face, which kept sliding up (yes! Up!), into my eyes. I guess my face just isn't big enough for one of those...

Anyway. It kind of defeated the whole object when I was tucked up in bed, about to go to sleep, and obviously with the mask off, when my gran pottered in, and proceeded to have an extended good night conversation with me at close quarters... Nobody can say that I didn't do my best!

Later on that night, I woke up to go to the bathroom, and heard a very strange noise. It sounded like someone was shaking their feather duvet vigorously. After a few minutes, I was sure that it couldn't be the case - why would anyone keep on shaking their duvet for so long? Then I realised that it was coming from my brother's room. And that it wasn't a duvet shake, but rather, a very loud snore... So loud, in fact, that I could almost feel the walls vibrating slightly.

I wasn't sure if I would get back to sleep, now that I was fully awake and listening for it. Luckily tiredness won, and I fell asleep fairly quickly. Question: How is it possible for such a diminutive person to make such a big noise??

1 comment:

EEbEE said...

I found your blog! (via scary student answers blog)

My dad snores so loud I could hear him from my bed (2 bedrooms and two closed doors down the passage!). always wondered how my mum put up with that for 30 + years...